Tuesday, January 02, 2007

BBC 7 radio dramas

How many of you have been following the programs over at BBC 7 recently? Some of the current productions are really amazing:

  • Sittaford Mystery by Agatha Christie
  • Tarka the Otter by Henry Williamson
  • Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
  • Voyage of the Dawn Treader, The Silverchair and Out of the Silent Planet by C. S. Lewis
  • Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

What you missed, hehe (these were aired a few weeks ago):

  • The Man Who Was Thursday by G. K. Chesterton
  • The Mortal Immortal by Mary Shelley
  • Tomb by H. P. Lovecraft
  • The Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens
  • The Magician's Nephew, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, The Horse and His Boy, and Prince Caspian by C. S. Lewis.
  • Emma by Jane Austen
  • Daniel Deronda by George Eliot

Imagine, all these great works in only a short span of time! I wonder what they have in store for us for a whole year!

It's sort of a crash course in Western literature. I mean, because of these productions, I'm introduced to works I haven't heard of before (like Daniel Deronda). This is the reason why I love what BBC 7 is doing. They introduce us to these great works. They attract us to them because they bring to life these literature. I mean, if I encountered them as books, I would think twice about reading them because they're written ages ago and in a language that is not easy to understand. Like Charles Dickens, I find him a bit difficult to read. But having listened to the radio production, I am more encouraged to read and appreciate his books. And they're not all radio dramatisations. Their Best Sellers segment features readings by actors of "the finest fiction and non-fiction."

So start listening to BBC 7! They also offer comedy shows (classic and modern). Plus, a whole lot more!

No comments:

eXTReMe Tracker