Saturday, February 11, 2006

Psalm 32: Remission of Sin

Today's Psalm reading is so beautiful:


Of David. A maskil.

Happy the sinner whose fault is removed,
whose sin is forgiven.
Happy those to whom the Lord imputes no guilt,
in whose spirit is no deceit.

As long as I kept silent, my bones
wasted away;
I groaned all the day.
For day and night your hand was
heavy upon me;
my strength withered as in dry
summer heat.
Then I declared my sin to you;
my guilt I did not hide.
I said, "I confess my faults to the
Lord,"
and you took away the guilt of my
sin.
Thus should all you faithful pray
in time of distress.
Though flood wasters threaten,
they will never reach them.
You are my shelter; from distress
you keep me;
with safety you ring me round.

I will instruct you and show you the
way you should walk,
give you counsel and watch over you.
Do not be senseless like horses or
mules;
with bit and bridle their temper
is curbed,
else they will not come to you.

Many are the sorrows of the wicked,
but love those surrounds those who trust
in the Lord.
Be glad in the Lord and rejoice,
you just;
exult, all you upright of heart.

(The New Catholic Translation)


I don't know what "maskil" means. In the New Advent online Bible the beginning of the first verse is translated as "To David himself, understanding..." I wonder why the two translations differ in the numbering of the chapters. In the NCT it's chapter 32, in the New Advent version, it's chapter 31.

No comments:

eXTReMe Tracker