Thursday, May 18, 2006

To watch or not to watch?

Showing na ang Da Vinci Code. It opened last night. I was in Ayala last night and I saw the long line of people outside the cinema.

Hmmm... should I join in and watch the movie? Probably I will. I am just curious. I know many people want to boycott it because they just don't want to put money into Dan Brown's pockets. But I'm just curious. I look at it as a work of fiction, or a mere piece of entertainment. Ah, some people would say, it's a dangerous work of fiction, because there are just too many lies and historical and theological distortions in the novel and movie. Hmmm, that's a good point. But there's really nothing to be afraid of if you're in the side of the truth, right?

I agree with the Archdiocese of Cebu's position, letting people decide for themselves if they should watch the movie or not. As one newspaper columnist said recently, the Da Vinci Code (some people call it the "Duh! Vinci Code") phenomenon, is sort of like a "blessing in disguise", because only now are more and more people talking about the Gospels; only now are more and more people opening their Bibles. There's a renewed interest in Christianity and Jesus.

So yes, there are many historical and theological dictortions in the DVC, and our response as Christians should be to research further the truth behind the wild claims of the novel. The Church's role, too, is to answer its faithful's questions about theology or Church history.

No comments:

eXTReMe Tracker